
So I have to admit that I was a tad hesitant to make this blog. This was partly because I find it a little intimidating to put my opinions out there for the entire WORLD to read, and even more so because they are my opinions about The Hills, one of the most ridiculous, superficial, addictive reality shows out there. I just couldn't imagine saying anything noteworthy about a show so un-noteworthy, a show in which nothing hardly ever happens.
Now, don't get me wrong, I LIKE The Hills. I was actually a huge fan of Laguna Beach, the "predecessor" of The Hills, in high school; I wanted to live the same carefree, luxurious life of the LB cast and could relate easily to their high school situations. So, when The Hills came along, I naturally followed. I felt connected to the LB cast, and soon became similarly connected to The Hills cast; I wanted to know what was going to happen to my friends Lauren, Jason and Lo. I was hooked. You might say that at that point I had begun to love The Hills. But, that doesn't take away from the fact that I found, and still find (maybe even more so now) the situations trivial and the relationships and characters somewhat disturbing (ie. Spencer & Heidi, Spencer & Stephanie... Spencer and anyone really). Still, no matter how it pushes my buttons I am drawn to The Hills week after week.
This seems paradoxical to me: How can I be so interested in a show that I find, in essence, fairly uninteresting? Why am I invested in the lives of these people who live so outside of my personal idea of reality? I began to wonder, "do other people feel the same way?"
I decided to survey my college peers and find out their opinion on the show. ( Click Here to take survey!) I am excited to see what these results reveal and will of course publish my findings and reactions here. Look for more in the following days. Also, please comment on any and all posts with your responses and reactions... I am extremely interested in hearing what you have to say!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment